Monday, June 15, 2015

The vital spark!



The following is from Spurgeon’s sermon,
"Light, Natural and Spiritual" No. 660. 

"You must be born again."

Do not think Christians are made by
education; they are made by creation.

You may wash a corpse as long as you please,
and that corpse could be clean, but you cannot
wash life into it!

You may deck it in flowers, and robe it in scarlet
and fine linen, but you cannot make it live!

The vital spark 
must come from above! 
Regeneration is not of the will of man, nor of blood,
nor of the will of the flesh, but by the power and
energy of the Spirit of God, and the Spirit of God alone!

See then, the ruin of nature and the freeness of grace!

Void and dark, a chaos given up to be covered with
blackness and darkness forever, and, while as yet
it is unseeking God, the light arises, and the promise
is fulfilled, "I am found of them that sought me not;
I said, behold me! behold me! to a people that were
not a people."

While we were lying in our blood, filthily polluted,
defiled, he passed by, and he said in the sovereignty
of his love, "Live!" and we do live.

The whole must be traced to sovereign grace!

From this sacred well of discriminating distinguishing
grace we must draw water this morning, and we must
pour it out, saying, "Oh Lord, I will praise your name,
for the first origin of my light was your sovereign
purpose, and nothing in me."



No comments:

Post a Comment