Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Brooks by the Traveller's Way By John Henry Jowett




Brooks by the Traveller's Way


By John Henry Jowett


Table of Contents



    Chapter 1 - Man's Setting and God's Setting - BROOKS BY THE TRAVELLER'S WAY BY J. H. JOWETT, M.A. Author of "APOSTOLIC OPTIMISM" etc. 1902 Foreword . The addresses ...read
    Chapter 2 - Things Concealed - "It is the glory of God to conceal a thing"--Prov. xxv. 2. The Lord conceals that He may the more abundantly reveal. He hides a thing in order that ...read
    Chapter 3 - "Behind and Before" - "Thou hast beset me behind and before, and laid Thine hand upon me."--Psalm cxxxix. 5. "Thou hast beset me behind!" He deals with the enemy in the ...read
    Chapter 4 - Spiritual Culture - "Teach me Thy way."--Psalm lxxxvi. 11. "Teach me to do Thy will."--Psalm cxliii. 10. "I delight to do Thy will."--Psalm xl. 8. "Teach me Thy way. ...read
    Chapter 5 - The Secret of Hope - "Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, in the power of the Holy Ghost."--Romans xv. 13. Wha ...read
    Chapter 6 - My Need of Christ, Christ's Need of Me - "I am the vine; ye are the branches."--John xv. 5. The Bible appears to exhaust all available figures in describing the intimate relationship which ...read
    Chapter 7 - The Shepherd and the Sheep - "My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me; and I give unto them eternal life, and they shall never perish, neither shall any man p ...read
    Chapter 8 - Lightening the Burden - "Cast thy burden upon the Lord, and He shall sustain thee. He shall never suffer the righteous to be moved."--Psalm lv. 22. To whom is this graciou ...read
    Chapter 9 - "How Much More!" - "How much more." These words express a mode of reasoning enjoined and commended in the Christian Scriptures. We are permitted to begin on the plane of ...read
    Chapter 10 - No Failing! No Forsaking! - "For He Himself hath said He will in no wise fail thee, nor will I in any wise forsake thee, so that with good courage we say the Lord is my Helper, ...read
    Chapter 11 - Perilous Sleep - "I think it meet to stir you up by putting you in remembrance."--2 Peter i. 13. "I stir up your minds by way of remembrance."--2 Peter iii. 1. The ...read
    Chapter 12 - Beauty in the Heights - "He maketh grass to grow upon the mountains."--Psalm cxlvii. 8. "He maketh grass to grow upon the mountains." Unless we read the words in the right ...read
    Chapter 13 - "Dying, We Live" - "Except a grain of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth by itself alone, but if it die it bringeth forth much fruit." "Except a grain of ...read
    Chapter 14 - Statutes become Songs - "But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you and pe ...read
    Chapter 15 - Unfulfilled Impulse - "Lord, I will follow Thee--but--"--Luke ix. 61. "Lord, I will follow Thee--but--." Then he perceived the beauty of the Christ. He acknowledged His ...read
    Chapter 16 - Destruction by Neglect - "Make not provision for the flesh, to fulfil the lusts thereof."--Romans xiii. 14. "Make not provision for the flesh." Let the evil thing die of fa ...read
    Chapter 17 - Desiring and Seeking - "One thing I have desired of the Lord, that will I seek after; that I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beaut ...read
    Chapter 18 - The Forces of the Kingdom - "Except a man be born again he cannot see the Kingdom of God."--John iii. 3. "We know that Thou art a teacher come from God." How did he know? Ther ...read
    Chapter 19 - Saving the World - "God so loved the world."--John iii. 16. "I pray not for the world."--John xvii. 9. "God so loved the world." "I pray not for the world." We are c ...read
    Chapter 20 - The Modesty of Love - "Love envieth not; love vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own."--1 Cor. xiii. 4, 5. "Love env ...read
    Chapter 21 - Feverishness - "Sick of a fever. And He touched her hand, and the fever left her."--Matt. viii. 14. I have no hesitation in interpreting this miracle as symbolic ...read
    Chapter 22 - The Fruits of Godly Fear - Psalm xxv. 12-15 "What man is he that feareth the Lord?" "The fear of God" is a familiar expression in the Scriptures. Perhaps our very intimacy wi ...read
    Chapter 23 - The Heavy Laden - "Come unto Me, all ye that labour and are heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn of Me, for I am meek and lowly in he ...read
    Chapter 24 - Overflowing Sympathies - "A certain centurion."--Luke vii. 2. What are my anticipations respecting the character of this Centurion? He is an educated Roman, and therefore I ...read
    Chapter 25 - Strife and Vain Glory - "Let nothing be done through strife or vain-glory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves."--Philippians ii. 3. "Let ...read
    Chapter 26 - "He Calleth... by Name" - "He calleth His own sheep by name, and leadeth them out."--John x. iii. "He calleth His own sheep by name." The unit is not lost in the indiscrimin ...read

No comments:

Post a Comment