Monday, January 5, 2015

Your gracious keeping


(John MacDuff, "The Gates of Prayer")

Anew I commend myself to Your gracious keeping this day.
Guide me by Your counsel--guard me from temptation--lead
me in the everlasting way. May every unloving thought--every
unworthy aim and aspiration--give place to what is pure and
unselfish and kind. May every idol that would usurp Your place
be overthrown. May no corrupt thought pollute my heart--no
unworthy utterance defile my tongue--no unholy action stain
my life. Preserve me from the world's insinuating, seductive
power--and from the treachery and deceitfulness of my own
evil heart.

Whatever is my dominant sin--
  ease or pleasure;
  pride or passion;
  covetousness or ambition;
enable me by the promised help of Your Spirit,
to subdue it--nailing it to the Redeemer's cross.

Defend me from every snare and danger
which may beset my path. Be . . .
  my Shield in prosperity;
  my Refuge in adversity;
  my Comforter in sorrow;
  my Light in darkness;
  my Hope in death;
  my Defender and Vindicator in judgment;
  my Joy and Portion through all eternity!



No comments:

Post a Comment